As it gets colder outside, people look for the best ways to get warm indoors. Space heaters are a popular choice for folks looking to warm up just one area without cranking the whole house heat.

But space heaters can be dangerous, here's why you should never plug a space heater into a power strip.

Using and extension cord or power strip with a space heater creates a major fire hazard, according to a recent article on CBS.

The Umatilla County Fire District #1 in Hermiston, Oregon posted a scary image on their Facebook page Monday, which promptly went viral.

"You should never plug a heater into a power strip. These units are not designed to handle the high current flow needed for a space heater and can overheat or even catch fire due to the added energy flow." -Umatilla County Fire District #1 Facebook

More From The New 96.1 WTSS